From: Sean Corfield [mailto:seancorfi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:57 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: CF 9 Hosting

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Jason Fisher <ja...@wanax.com> wrote:
> Wow, CrystalTech has been nothing but great for me.  Solid beta of CF9
before they released it commercially, too, so they are definitely on the
ColdFusion train.  Not sure why you got a bad tech there, but that has
certainly never been their attitude to me, and I've hosted with them for
years.

Definitely a YMMV issue since I've had bad experiences with
CrystalTech with more than one client site over the years. Mostly
stability problems with their servers (and occasionally very slow
and/or uninformed responses from support).

GoDaddy are very much a case of you get what you pay for and their
support is *awful*. I host a number of HTML sites with them and their
cheap Linux hosting is pretty good but their CFMX7(!) offering is
heavily restricted (sandbox security) and they know zero about
ColdFusion.

I had everything with HostMySite but their service has gone
dramatically downhill lately (under Hosting.com) so I moved all but
one site to Edge Web Hosting who I love to bits. Vlad Friedman and his
team are very knowledgeable and responsive.

I've also heard good things about Vivio (who also offer a "true root
VPS" with Railo for $180/year).

Most of the hosting companies will tell you - sometimes
off-the-record, over a beer - that shared hosting is just plain ol'
going away. They've been saying it for years. The margins are too
small and the stability problems are pretty much insurmountable due to
software out of their control (a customer's poorly written app) -
regardless of technology. VPS is the new shared hosting and there's
already a move to cloud-like configurations with some hosting
companies.

One of the cheapest shared hosting offerings around at the moment is
Alurium's "mini plan" at just over $3/month:
https://alurium.com/clients/cart.php?gid=1
It's Railo-based - which means you get full Web Administrator control,
even on shared hosting, and they offer a free trial so you can see how
your code runs.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/