I'll add my recommendation for KickAssVPS -- although I will also say that I
maintain a client's dedicated server at Hosting.com/HostMySite, and the
engineers there - one in particular - have been very helpful in tuning the
JVM on that dedicated server.

As far as KickAss goes, one of the things I like (in addition to the
reliability) is that they have a couple of very handy tools: first, you can
manage DNS through a web interface, so if you add a site, you can manage the
DNS yourself, without having to put in a support request. Second, if you use
their shared SQL Server service (which has also been very reliable), they
have a web-based tool that lets you backup and restore databases on your
own, downloading the backup if you want.

They of course do their own SQL backups. But for instance, if you're moving
a client to your VPS who has an existing SQL server database, you just ask
KAVPS to create the new database instance. Then, when you're ready to move,
you just get a backup of the existing database and do the restore yourself.

I also find this functionality helpful for getting backups of production
databases to periodically refresh the versions on my dev server.

--
Thanks,

Tom

Tom McNeer