Greetings,

I am hoping to pick some of your brains. I find myself in a quandary.  If
you will indulge me I will explain the situation as briefly as I can.

We current have a website, several really, that are fairly heavily
trafficked about 12 - 18 million pages per month primarily used to obtain
video game maps and assets for the games.  The website is not the issue
since we store the actual files for download on remote servers and link
people to them for download via FTP.  For the past 3 years this has been
working fairly well.  We average over  15,000GB / Month in file traffic and
serve an average of 350,000 Files /month using this method.

We have recently upgraded our remote servers to Athlon 64 X2 3400+, DualCore
64 Bit, 2x 1.8 GHz, 4 GB DDR2-RAM Win2008 X64 Web IIS7 with substantially
more bandwidth availability.  Since it is a newer OS I was unable to use the
old CF5 installation on the remote server and since only needing minimal
functionality installed Tomcat and Open BlueDragon for the CFML engine.
This seems to work as before since we only use cf on the remote servers to
check if the file exists before sending them to the ftp.

In other applications I routinely use cfcontent to serve protected files on
extranet applications however the traffic ( 10-20 files/day) is nowhere near
as rigorous as will be required here with 12,000 per day of 40Meg average
per file.  I am considering serving the files now through cfcontent via HTTP
instead of FTP for a couple of reasons. 1) because most Internet Security
programs block FTP and we have to help people (mostly kids) open the port
and 2) to prevent direct linking to the files because this endeavor is
funded by ads on the website (and my wallet).

I know the most efficient way to serve this quantity and size of files is
via ftp but what I don't know is what is required by the various CF engines
AdobeCF, OpenBD, Bluedragon, Ralio to serve up the same via HTTP.  Will our
new server hardware handle that kind of HTTP file traffic (I suspect so),
will OpenBD/Tomcat be up to the task or will I need a different CFML engine?
Essentially what I need to know is what it would take to routinely serve
that many/size files through the CF engine. I don't want to go down this
road and find that people are having problems downloading because the CF
engine / Web server can't keep up.  Has anyone had experience with this and
can you offer some advice?

Dennis Powers
UXB Internet - A Website Design & Hosting Company
P.O. Box 6028
Wolcott, CT 06716
203-879-2844
http://www.uxbinternet.com