>> My advice for you would be to avoid using CFCONTENT for this, as it's
>> really not designed for this.

That was my feeling as well.  I have always tried to stay away from much
file manipulation with the CF engine since, as you say, it wasn't designed
for it.

>> The alternative I'd recommend would be the use of temporary symlinks.

This was another thought as well but the issue there is moving those files
back and forth programmatically with CF. I thought that it would use as much
processor/threads as actually serving it up.

I see PHP sites do it but I am not sure if they have other ways to handle
the actual transfer of the file via the web server with a re-direct utility
or something.

After I sent the email I remembered that the CoolFusion guys had an
authenticator ISAPI filter for IIS which essentially runs a CF script before
allowing access to the file through the web server.  I just don't know if it
will work on 64bit IIS7 and am waiting for their reply via email.

I am looking for any and all ideas and opinions on this subject since I have
yet to find a full solution. Thanks!

Dennis Powers
UXB Internet - A Website Design & Hosting Company
P.O. Box 6028
Wolcott, CT 06716
203-879-2844
http://www.uxbinternet.com