I have a client with a CF7 site on shared hosting (CrystalTech). They wanted a
nice 404 handler page so I set one up via IIS. This only caught non-CF files
(e.g. .html). Any CF file (like cfm, cfc, etc.) was still be handed off to
ColdFusion which would return a 404. I had CrystalTech change the IIS setting
for this site for it to verify existence of all files no matter the file type.
This worked well or so I thought.

I see now that all Flash features are busted (cfchart, cfcalendar, etc.) and
returning 404s. A little Googling shows this is a known thing in the CF world.
ColdFusion handles Flash features like this by referring to non-existent files
and then intercepts requests to these "magic named" files. This breaks if IIS
is testing for file existence first. The solution frequently recommended is to
create a 0-length file of the name CF is looking for to make IIS happy.

Questions:
- If I go that route, CF seems to look for some files in my docroot and some
files in the CFIDE dir. I can't get to the latter in shared hosting so seems
like this isn't the way (?).
- The files CF looks for in my docroot have crazy numbering in them. Is this a
stable URL or do I need to create a zillion dummy files?
- This would all be easier in CF8/9 with the OnMissingTemplate handler but the
upgrade from CF7 is a ways off. Is there any equivalent in CF7? I'm in shared
hosting so don't believe the CFIDE site-wide handler is an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave