I don't know if this is related but I had a similar situation where Eclipse
would hang at start up and at seemingly random moments. All of my Eclipse
installs became pretty much unusable at the same time. Two things fixed it
for me. Defraging and Jacking up the RAM. Defragging helped a lot. My HD was
a big red splotch when I looked at it in Smart Defrag.

I jacked up the RAM in the eclipse.ini like so.

org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
1024M

and at the bottom of the file

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

BTW Eclipse.ini is pretty picky on what values it will accept and I found
these to work after trial and error.

HTH

G!