That's by design. CF knows when an application starts. You can 'force'
it a few ways.

1) In CF9, within onRequestStart, add a check for url.init (or some
such), and run applicationStop(), you then need to reload the current
request.
2) Or even simpler, within onRequestStart, add a check for a url var
and simply do

onApplicationStart();

This will NOT single thread the call, but if you are just setting up a
bunch of variables, you most likely do not need to be concerned.

3) I don't really recommend this, but you can also just rename the application.