Whether to release the exploit or not is subject to a number of different
practical and moral considerations.

Firstly security testers and testing tools need to have functional and working
exploits to validate if their customer’s sites are secure; if exploits are
not released they cannot do their job. Every time a security tester runs a scan
the exploit is publically published, so selective disclosure does not work.

Secondly the exploit contained within Adobe’s patches will be rapidly reverse
engineered by governmental Infosec warfare teams, along with various
commercially profitable underground organisations.  Our intent by using
publicity is too minimise the impact of this.

ProCheckUp have had a number of discussions regarding waiting a longer time say
one month to release the exploit, though this was determined to be unfeasible
due to ease of determining the exploit and using it. It was felt that it is
better to give ColdFusion administrator’s a tight deadline to secure their
servers, rather than a relaxed one and having servers subjected to attack by
the above.

Personally I know that many prefer that exploits are not published and I
understand this perspective; though my perspective is different coming from
practical experience of performing forensics on customer sites after they have
been ‘hacked’ using unpublished or zero day exploits.