On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Robert Harrison
<rob...@austin-williams.com> wrote:
> To respond to an IT director who thinks ColdFusion is dated and not in much
> use anymore...

Even tho' it just got a brand new updater for the latest release -
which only came out recently and now incorporates the industry
standard ORM, Hibernate? Even tho' Adobe just invested in a brand new
Eclipse-based IDE dedicated to CFML? Even tho' there are now three
feature-rich implementations of CFML (Adobe, OpenBD, Railo)? Even tho'
Evans Data Corporation - an independent research company - estimates
there are close to 800,000 CFML developers worldwide? Even tho'
Gartner recently praised CFML as a technology to invest in?

I hope you get my point.

Number of sites isn't really a useful measure (since a large
percentage of CFML sites are probably behind firewalls) but all those
points above are valid.

In some ways the recent security alert highlights just how widespread
CFML usage is - if it were "not in much use anymore", no one would
have made a fuss about the exploit!

> It seems I keep having to make the 'Why ColdFusion' argument again and
> again. Adobe is very good with the evangelical kit, but it focused on
> converting developers.

I think the evangelist kit has some pretty good stuff for managers - I
don't think it's aimed at developers at all. We are talking about the
same document, yes?

http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/evangelism_kit/

Pages 4 and 5 in particular address use of CFML and important positive
reviews. Page 6 covers the future roadmap (to dispel the 'dated'
idea).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/