Well the purpose is to capture and store the Directory as part of a
configuration routine. Then days in the future other users of the
application will trigger it to process some datafiles... but
coldfusion needs to know where those datafiles are located.  The
current user has no idea where they are stored... they just want the
files in the directory processed.

Currently during the configuration session we can capture it by making
them point to a file in the directory and then stripping the actual
file name from the network path they navigated down... however how to
do this when there is NO file in the directory for them to use while
configuring the Directory Location for future use... that is the
problem... which Dave suggests can only be solved using AIR :-(