Seeing your email Brandon got me thinking about this again and I
actually found a solution after deciding to google fakepath

from this resource:
http://acidmartin.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/the-mystery-of-cfakepath-unveiled/
"the real path to the file will be shown only if the page that
contains the control is added to the trusted sites collection of the
browser."

Because this identifies the application server as the trusted site it
SO worked for IE8 -- we will now instruct our installed base of this
configuration requirement when using the application to create the
links.  Good admins might be able to do this with a policy or
something... at any rate is we detect fakepath we can pop a dialog box
or alert and let them know the solution.... or at least that is the
plan short term.

Next is to work out how to get it to work in Firefox :-(

Thanks Brandon... oh and we have NO idea what folder structures are on
the computers in the network that they might choose to create links
on.