> It's not always ColdFusion that is at issue.  The JVM plays a huge
> role here. What is your JVM version?  Oh, and why not update your
> version of CF as well?

Thanks Will...

Initially I saw that the JVM was set to a non-adobe JVM; and so I changed it
back to the standard ColdFusion8/runtime/jre.  This had the important benefit
of reducing response time by 3 seconds; but unfortunately this is not enough.

In regards update of CF; I explored this possibility but it turned out that
unless I can point to important business benefits the client is unlikely to
want to spend the resource required to regression test all of the various
applications running on the same server.