No - cfinvoke can be used with an instantiated component.

<cfset booger = new booger()>
<cfinvoke component="#booger#" method="pick" ...>

Why would you bother? Well if a method has a complex API, you may find
it nicer to do in tags (cfinvoke+cfinvokeargument). Then again, a
method with a complex API is probably asking for a refactoring.