If this is just a project that you're working on for the sake of honing your
skills, and it doesn't have to be publicly accessible, there's no reason you
couldn't continue to work on it locally using the developer edition of CF.

Free CF hosting is going to be hard to come by.  Outside of the resource you
mentioned, I can't think of any.  There was one that Pablo Varando was
running, but I'm not sure if it's still around.  Even if it is, it was
marketed as being for "development only", in which case... well, yeah... the
developer edition of CF running locally works a treat.