> >Actually the reverse is true. You should as a developer place your READ
> >locks. The way that the code optimizer in CF works it basically puts the
> >lock around the assignments then processes. You will gain much better
> >performance by manually placing these then allowing CF to do it
> >for you. The main issue is that CF has to do the work to parse your
> >file and ensure the
> >locks are in place, then reprocess the code. By not allowing CF
> >to perform this, it simply processes your code.

> I disagree, but I won't debate it any longer until I can carry
> out the performance test I posted a few messages ago and we will
> all know for sure one way or the other.

Actually, if you don't put your own locks in, CF puts it's own locks around
every command that needs one and since it's locking and unlocking a lot if
you have a whole list of commands that need them, this slows down the server

It's always good practice to do your own locking rather than let CF do it -
I know it's a bind, but it's worth it for speed and reliability

Philip Arnold
Director
Certified ColdFusion Developer
ASP Multimedia Limited