I have done this and it works a treat, which also means I no longer need to
run scripts to setup IIS VDirs anymore.

I also use SES so it might be a bit different if you aren't doing this.

But I always treat the first in the list for example /myvdir/foo.cfm would
be myvdir as a virtual directory, then try to look it up against known
clients. If it doesn't match then it must be a dir, and continue.

All this info is in the url string so it is easy to work out.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/