Ok,

Given your goals then, I think that using a WYSIWYG editor would be far
simpler than having to instruct your users on a complex scheme of delimiters
to get the desired visual result.

With something like CKEditor (a version of which is available natively in
ColdFusion 8 and up - http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/Tags_t_02.html)
you can let your users enter text directly as you would want it to show up
on the page, in a tool similar to MS Word. You can even restrict them to
only having access to certain Style Elements such as the heading tags and
un-ordered lists.

If you need any help getting it up and running just let us know.

=]