Not to mention that if there is any hosting provider that doesn't allow for
this, then they should be avoided at all costs.

It would be within their best interests to stop all exploits, so if they
have a customer that does file uploads and that customer can't have a folder
not accessible from the web, then not only is the customer at risk, but all
other shares/customers and not to mention the hosting provider is at serious
risk.

Any decent hosting provider does set this up, for this exact reason.

So I really don't see that as an argument for not being able to move the
temp directory away from the URL.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/