From: Steve Bryant [mailto:st...@bryantwebconsulting.com]
Sent: 05 January 2011 17:39
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Beta Tester Wanted for new CF (MVC) Framework

Russ,

Thanks for your comment and encouragement.

The scrutiny is certainly valid. I don't think the problem is as serious as
it first appeared, but it is with regard to all uploaded files handled by
the framework so it is a pretty significant area of concern and definitely
something I am glad to have others help me think through.

As to the "need" for another framework, I think I have heard that point
raised about every ColdFusion framework released since Fusebox came out ("We
already have Fusebox, why do we need another framework?"). In this case, I
think Neptune is quite a bit different from what is out there already.

For one thing, all the other major frameworks route all requests through
index.cfm and Neptune doesn't. Assuming I am not the only one who dislike
this paradigm then it is worth offering it for that.

For another, I think (keeping in mind that I am biased) that it is much
easier than any other framework. Almost every time I read about how to
something in another framework I think "It is easier than that for us".

For anyone even a little curious, I would recommend reading the "Getting
Started" section. It includes links to how to do the same thing in
ModelGlue:Unity and in CFWheels. You can imagine it in other frameworks as
well. See for yourself which you think is easier.

http://www.bryantwebconsulting.com/docs/neptune/installation.cfm

I'm not trying to knock other frameworks here ("easier" often depends on the
problems being solved, for example) - just to point out that I think Neptune
does have something different to offer than what exists already.

Thanks,

Steve