What sorts of questions do you expect a hosting company to be
knowledgeable about and willing to help you with (aside from specific
hosting questions of course)?

DO you expect them to know how to use every tag and function?   Syntax
things?  (I happen to be pretty experienced at that level, as a
practicing developer of about 14 years experience)  but I'm interested
in what you expect of a hosting company.

Or do you want the hosting company to be knowledgeable more about
server issues  - throughput,  optimising code,  finding bottlenecks?

I know that where I'm not hosting a site I'm working on, few hosting
support people will answer questions like "my report is giving the
wrong results - can you look at the query and tell me what I've done
wrong".  The answer to that one is "thats probably in the manuals -
look there or ask someone else".    But if one of my clients calls me
with a question like that, I'll help them.    Sometimes even fix the
code for them and send it to them, if I have the time available.
I've had Perth's Fasthit do things like that for me too.   And Kym
Kovan is extremely knowledgeable and helpful with things like that
too, if she has the time available.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion 9 Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month