> I'm not telling Adobe how to run their business. I'm telling other CF devs
> my opinion on two specific topics as they relate to business. You make me
> sound like I'm at the gates with a pitchfork and torch.

You're splitting some mighty fine hairs there. Clearly you have an
opinion on how Adobe should do things.

> I never said they should rewrite any applications. You can mask the use of
> php (or cf or any other language) without a whole lot of effort or expense,
> in the grand scheme of things. You can still use PHP or Ruby or Klingon, you
> just don't need to advertise it with ".php" at the end of the url. That's
> optics. And it's important.

It's important ... to you. But it's not as easy as you make it out to
be. Adobe uses third parties to develop solutions, and they buy
third-party products and deploy them. I'm guessing they pay third
parties for ongoing support of things like Adobe Forums. They have
lots of different web properties, managed by different departments.
And again, it's not clear that there'd be any real benefit to doing
this.

But it's always easy to tell other people what they need to do, I guess.

> An argument could also be made that if one spent the last 10 years of ones
> life fully immersed in the CF community, that one might actually have a
> fairly insular view of CF. One that would seem to argue against having
> a decent amount of exposure to the rest of the world.

I guess that argument could be made, but perhaps you didn't read what
I wrote - I work with a lot of other technologies. I've worked with CF
for over ten years, but I also work with Java, ASP.NET, Google
Enterprise technologies, and a bunch of other things - and have for a
long time. And if you go on mailing lists for those other products,
you don't find developers talking about what's used on what web sites,
and how that reflects on anything meaningful.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.