Normally Dave Watts really knows his stuff, but I have to disagree with one of
his suggestions. I definitely would NOT refresh an application by renaming it.

While this will work, I would think that would leave the old Application scope
running on the server. This isn't something that the GC would know to come by
and pick up as there are still variables referencing the data - there just
aren't any pages using the variables.

The upshot of that is that all of the data stored in Application scope under
the old Application name continues to exist after you have renamed the
application - you have just created an entirely new copy of all of those
application variables.

Do this a few times and you eventually have a lot of RAM tied up keeping track
of variables that you aren't using at all.

Steve