What is the data type of the field in SQL Server? If you run the query in
Management Studio, what do you see for that value? How are you outputting
the value in CF to see the 0E-8 number? What tag are you using to call the
stored procedure in ColdFusion? Which version of MS SQL Server are you
using?

-Mike Chabot