> I have a remote db server's 2 .crt and .key files and am ready to store them
> into the CF8 Enterprise truststore for Postgre SSL connectivity (self-
> signed, too).  I have read a few articles about importing using the keytool
> but have zero Java knowledge.
>
> 1. What is the purpose of the keystore password and it's relationship with
> the certificate and/or keystore?

The keystore is supposed to be a (somewhat) secure repository for
keys. It's protected by a password that nobody bothers to change. The
keystore password doesn't have anything to do with the specific
certificates and keys in the keystore itself.

> 2. Are all 3 files supposed to be imported?  If not, do these 3 files get
> converted into one certificate?

That depends. Is one certificate used to validate the other? If so,
they'll both have to go in there. If not, they may still need to go in
there, if you're trying to go to two servers with different
certificates. I'm not sure whether you need to chain them together in
a single file first or not - I would suspect that you don't. They
wouldn't get converted into a single certificate, in any case - a
certificate chain is a single file that contains multiple
certificates.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsit