From: Jenny Gavin-Wear [mailto:jenn...@fasttrackonline.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:44 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Can't open cfadmin after installing CFBuilder Beta 2

Rick and I worked through this problem last night.

We got rid of the IPV6 and that got the localhost pinging correctly, then we
encountered problems with IIS 7.  If you have IPV6 installed a ping to local
host will reply with :::1 instead of the usual 127.0.0.1 address.

Rick had been advised to use a 172. series IP address to his config, even
though his LAN is on 192.168.x.  He'd also been told to add lines to the
host file for each web site he works on pointing to the 172 IP.

Rick is in the process of getting rid of the 172. IP and reconfiguring IIS7.
Hopefully that will fix the problem.

If you ever need to set up a line in the hosts file to point to a site in
development on your own PC, all you will ever need to point at is the
127.0.0.1 local (loopback) IP.  Naturally, you'll be the only one able to
access the site.  If you want more people to be able to access the site
either set up a new dns record for it within your domain pointing to the
fully qualified IP address, or if you just want people on your LAN to see
it, point it to your servers local IP address.

There are three IP address ranges reserved for LANs.  Class A 10.x.x.x,
Class B 172.16.x.x and Class C 192.168.1.x.  The only difference in these
classes is the maximum number of IP's they each make available.  Typically,
for example, Class A is only used by large corporates using a large VPN.

Jenny
18:08:00