MySql is free though licensing is a bit complicated because of a
dual-license model. The community edition includes many "enterprise"
sorts of features like replication and partitioning. If I recall,
there are additional backup tools and monitoring in the paid
enterprise edition. If you want to go completely free from the weird
Oracle ownership stuff (which I think is wise, personally), there is
the MariaDB fork which is entirely FOSS as far as I know. What
"enterprise" features are you thinking aren't in the community
edition?

MySql community edition has none of the limitations present in MS SQL
Express edition. Honestly, not taking advantage of more than a gig of
RAM or 1 cpu core is just stupid. Why would you even have a database
server? I suppose if you are housing the db on the same machine as
your app server then...well, you have plenty of other problems at that
point.

Sql Express is great for development (though I prefer developer
edition myself). It is not meant for production websites, period.
That's why Microsoft has a Web edition. I like SQL Server and use it
but it is wrong to try and compare Sql Express and MySql community
edition, they are completely different classes of software.

That being said, I still think people should check out PostGres. A
feature set comparable to Oracle/MS SQL/Sybase and genuinely FOSS,
unlike MySql. Tasty DB goodness.

Cheers,
Judah