Judah,

Yes it is nice to have power, but it is rather like buying a Porshe to drive
around town at 30MPH, sure you can brag about it and tell everyone how you
could drive at 200mph if you wanted to, but really you are never going to do
it, and a more practical car is really going to do a better job for you in
that scenario.

My comments are based on my own *REAL WORLD* experience hosting hundreds of
databases over many years, rather than as a developer building a single
database/website. but in those years I have experienced the following, which
is why I will always prefer/recommend MSSQL.

MySQL databases corrupt quite easily and need to be repaired (even on
dedicated machines)
Never had a MSSQL corruption problem since MSSQL 2000
MySQL  will easily get overloaded by a single database and consume 100% CPU
requiring a restart, only experienced this on v4 so far though.
Never had that problem on MSSQL
MySQL is a PITA to backup and restore, time consuming and quirky and dumps
not always reliable.
MSSQL is simple and quick to backup/restore/migrate.
Our MSSQL servers are able to host far more databases than the MySQL
servers.

Now granted the limits on Express edition would mean you could not host HUGE
memory/CPU hogging databases, but as I said, this scenario is quite rare,
most people's databases do not come anywhere near this and the Express
edition will handle them just fine, so it certainly is not just good for
development. We ran SQL 2005 express for years in a shared hosting
environment with no problems at all, the limits did not cause any problems
for a long time. We managed to get a lot of databases on the server until it
started to run out of power, and now we use SQL Server 2008 web edition,
which is actually very cheap to run.
Again I would point out that if you are in the need of great power and
reliability, then you should be running your own server and probably not
running the free editions anyway.

The problem with databases and database servers is that most developers
really don;t know much about them, and will just throw together a basic
database and rely on the servers out of the box config. In this area MSSQL
shines, as you can install it out of the box with no tweaking and it will
run like a dream.

With MySQL on the other hand you really need a deeper understanding of how
it works to be able to fine tune its performance and you also need to
understand the different database engines it utilises and when to use them,
again something most people do not do, which adds to the
reliability/performance issues with databases.

To be honest this is somewhat of a rarity as M$ products are usually not
known for being the best, often it is the 3rd party products which are
superior, but you also have to remember that M$ did not originally create
SQL Server, it was originally Sybase. So if you are in the anti-Microsoft
camp you may find this history of SQL server interesting.

http://insidesqlserver.com/companion/History%20of%20SQL%20Server.pdf

At the end of the day this is just my opinion/experience, you do not have to
agree with it.