I second the comment on Navicat. It's intuitive and easy to use and the new
Premium edition supports MS-SQL as well as MySQL, Postgre, Oracle and SQLite.
And no, I don't have any affiliation with them, I just love their product :-)

I've converted several databases from MS-SQL to MySQL with no problems
whatsoever. I now use Navicat exclusively to manage all of my client databases
and I haven't even had to install the dreaded SQL Enterprise Manager on my new
system (which makes me extremely happy because I can't stand Enterprise
Manager).

For backups or transferring to a new server, I think Navicat is MUCH easier and
more intuitive than Microsoft's built-in tools. Even moving a database from one
MS-SQL Server to another is just a couple of clicks of the mouse.

With regards to the comment about the type of backup, I actually just schedule
a nightly sync from my Production DB to a dedicated backup version on the
Staging Server (or Development Server for clients that don't have a staging
environment). This way, we actually have a LIVE fail over we can bring online
almost immediately, while we repair or replace the Production server. I realize
that might not be an option for all situations (especially really large DBs),
but it's worked extremely well for me over the years.

I've never seen a MySQL database get corrupted and I've worked with hundreds of
them (though granted most of them were fairly small).

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Mike