I agree that the encoding is the likely culprit, but we're calling a 3rd
party service and can't control what they're sending us. Their response to
our inquiry was that they are sending utf-8 encoded responses.

Outside of calling this 3rd party service, I've been unable to duplicate the
problem, so I don't have a link I can post.

Thanks for the ideas, suggestions and trains of thought, everyone. Looks
like we're stuck with our inelegant try-catch solution. I was hoping to
squeeze quite a bit more efficiency out of this.