Hey Daniel,

In order to assist you, it would be helpful to see the code that has the loop
as well as some knowledge of what the 'database call' is doing.  (maybe the
database call isn't returning?)

The cfsetting that you mention, does only change the timeout setting for the
page that it is set in.  It does not change the master settings in the cfadmin,
so it will not effect other pages on your website directly. (this is true from
CF7 thru CF9, and I would expect any future version of CF as well)

The issue that it appears that you are running into is two-fold.  1.  how many
'actions' are you looping over combined with 2. how long does it take to
complete each action.

Setting up a 'grouped' plan to only run x of them is a valid assessment, but I
would suggest that you do this by tracking which ones need to be redone outside
of the page.
An example would be, you could have each of the necessary redone's to show up
in a database table, and mark them as completed once they are done.  The you
would just need to pull the oldest 5 of them each time you load the page.
(this would mean the page would have to be loaded more often.

The best solution for you, will probably come after you have posted some more
information (the loop code and 'what' the action is doing)

hope this helps,
William

William E. Seiter