Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't know about UNION (I'm new to all of
this), but unfortunately it didn't work for my purpose.  I need for the
first and second SELECT statements to have ORDER BY clauses, and UNION
doesn't allow this.  It seems to only want you to sort once you've
completely assembled the data to be returned.

The workaround that I have is probably fine.  At this point, I leave this
question hanging out here only out of curiosity.

Thanks,
Matthieu