Sean,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, since I will be modifying this
list over time, it may start to become a headache to maintain.  It is
already dreadfully long (not my choice), which means that determining and
entering the appropriate new sortby number (e.g., 3.5 or some other
'tween-the-integers option) might get worse than just leaving the
double-query method I am using now.

Your idea does, however, encourage me to consider adding an extra column for
sort groupings.  If I give all the USA entries a 1, then the rest a 2, I can
use a two-column sort to get what I want.  This would be very easy to
maintain.  Hmmmm.  I'm strongly considering it.

Thanks,
Matthieu