Have you configured your app to time out bot sessions after page view?
Bots can't retain sessions, so every page view would spawn a separate
session, thereby flooding memory. You can do bot detection in your
onRequestStart() to set the session timeout to something like 2 seconds,
as opposed to the typical. This will decrease your memory footprint
during bot crawling, which helps a little. Ben Nadel has some posts on
this on his blog.

I ran an app for 5 years that did 150k page views every few minutes,
500k query requests per server every 4 hours (we had 8 web servers), and
3k+ templates of legacy code. You can do it, you just have to find your
pain points and address them. A thorough review of what's happening with
variables throughout the application life span can be very beneficial.
Is this variable being used? Is it in the right scope? Every bit counts.

Steve 'Cutter' Blades
Adobe Community Professional
Adobe Certified Expert
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com

Co-Author "Learning Ext JS 3.2" Packt Publishing 2010
https://www.packtpub.com/learning-ext-js-3-2-for-building-dynamic-desktop-style-user-interfaces/book

"The best way to predict the future is to help create it"