---- Scott Spurlock <spurlock.sc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I apologize in advance since this isn't a CF question, but I'm desperate and
> hoping this is at least an Adobe question.  A client of mine wants to create
> a form for users to fill out electronically.  He then wants to take their
> database.  He absolutely does not want this to be web-based.  He ideally
> wanted me to create an interactive form in PDF.  I thought, "Sure, no
> problem."  The problems I'm running into?  Importing PDF data into Access
> appears to involve an extra step (converting the PDF to text or XML or Excel)
> which he/the client would have to do (since he's the one getting the returned
> forms).  Worse is that he wants some multi-select drop-down lists in the form
> and I'm not seeing a way to do this in a PDF (I've played around with both
> Acrobat Pro and LiveCycle Designer).  And without VBA skills I don't have,
> I'm not even seeing how to do this in an Excel or Word
>  form.  I'm getting stuck and turn to you kind sirs for your advice.  How
> would you do this?

So, he wants the people to fill out a PDF form and email the form to him. Then
he wants to be able to scrape the form field data off and into Access DB.
Does that sound like the issue?

There probably is a better solution using Visual Basic. You might be able
to write something in VB to use an Acrobat component to read the PDF and fish
out the form data and put it in the database table for each PDF. You might even
be able to do this in batch form. There would need to be a lot of PDF forms to
make it worth doing though.

There is a reason that web/database work is so popular.
--
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/roger-austin/8/a4/60
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RogerTheGeek