Yes, Yes, No.

My research tells me that the examples I found that were written for cf8 just
won't work because of the major differences between its version of EXTjs and
cf9+. I suspect taht the example I found for cf9 won't work because of the
minor difference between cf9.0 and 9.01.  AT the very least, using the header
toolbar is hosed for 9.0 and i don't have the time to dig into how to
manipulate EXTjs directly.

I did find that one thing I was doing wrong was populating my CFGRID with a
CFQUERY.  In order to get the bottom toolbar and paging to work, I needed to
get rid of the query and do a bind to a CFC method.

My final fix, to get my top toolbar approximation with a filter was to just
hand code a HTML drop box as part of the CFFORM and bind it too:

        // for the cfgrid
        args = structNew();
        args.bind =
"cfc:ebusiness.getFundingTransactions({cfgridpage},{cfgridpagesize},{cfgridsortcolumn},{cfgridsortdirection},{filter})";
        args.onchange =
"cfc:ebusiness.psbFunding.edit({cfgridaction},{cfgridrow},{cfgridchanged})";

then

<!--- The GridRender function needs to be in the <head> so it exists before the
CFGRID attempts to reference it --->
<cfsavecontent variable="gridRenderJS">
<script  type="text/javascript">
                        var gridRender = function()
                        {
                                grid =
ColdFusion.Grid.getGridObject('eBusinessGrid');
                                var bbar =
Ext.DomHelper.overwrite(grid.bbar,{tag:'div',id:Ext.id()},true);

                                gbbar = new Ext.PagingToolbar({
                                renderTo:bbar,
                                store: grid.store,
                        pageSize: 50,
                        displayInfo: true,
                        displayMsg: '<b>Showing {0} - {1} out of {2}</b>',
                        emptyMsg: "<b>No Records</b>"
                            });
                        };
</script>
</cfsavecontent>
<cfhtmlhead text="#gridRenderJS#">

then

<cfform>
  ... stuff...
        <select name="filter" id="filter"> ... </select>
        <cfgrid attributeCollection="#args#"> ... </cfgrid>
        <cfset ajaxOnLoad("gridRender")>
</cfform>