Thanks Rex, but your assuming it is the gmail account. All my tests show
that this is not the case, as we have another server we ran the same
application on it, and it all works fine.

So this is not as intermittent as you think, the failure rate is actually
very high. We are talking like 20k emails not being sent, and even if I try
to move one at a time back into the spool it goes straight back to the
undeliverable folder.

All tests that I have run actually work on the server, except these emails.
And there is nothing, absolutely nothing in the email that shows what could
be making it fail. Which is what makes it even harder to understand where to
look.

Even an email that gets sent ok, if I intercept it and make a copy before it
it sent. Looking at it and any that fail, apart from the subject and body
nothing else is different.