Mark,

I'm pretty well versed in Shibboleth. You say you are setting up a
Shibboleth server, do you mean the IdP product? If so I don't think
that is what you want. You need to set up the Shibboleth SP software
on your web server in order to consume assertions. Are you receiving
these assertions as part of  SSO?

--Nathan