On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Richard (J7 Group) wrote:
> I wonder if I am over complicating this issue. Basically our application is
> a Software as a Service (SaaS) and each client that accesses it really only
> needs to connect to their own data source due to the type of data our
> application processes... and regulations in the industry say their data must
> be separated.

I imagined that was the use-case :)

Database vendors have specific solutions for multiple identical
databases, one for each customer. A popular one is to have separate
databases faked by a database server that uses just one database but
shows different data based on the customer (login). I believe that is
a reasonable approximation of the problem you are facing.
One of the vendor buzzwords for that is Virtual Private Database and
looking for that shows that the performance problem in having
different classes for each customer is solvable if you use Hibernate
directly: https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=940748
I am unsure if ColdFusion exposes sufficient control over the
Hibernate session to dynamically switch the datasource or login
session in CFML, but if you want to use ORM this is the direction I
would recommend exploring.

> So, the actual objects in the database may vary but only *very* slightly.

If you want this to work you are probably going to have to merge those
differences into one standard schema.

Jochem

--
Jochem van Dieten