Not at all true, Russ.

Here's a website that I wrote in 1994 that is archived (archive.org
only has it back through 1996) that works just fine in Chrome 16, IE 9
and FireFox 8 on a Windows 7 box.

http://web.archive.org/web/19961018091409/http://babel.uoregon.edu/yamada/guides.html

None of those browsers even existed when I started that in 94. I was
targeting HTML specs and, lo and behold, still works fine 15+ years
later on browsers I could not have imagined at the time.

Judah