Don't worry G, it didn't make sense to me either. In my memory, when IE6
was released it's implementations of HTML and CSS didn't meet the
'standards' set forth by the existing W3C specs either. If you were
writing to standards you were writing it for the brand new Firefox
browser, then writing hacks to also make it work in IE (kind of like we
have to do now).

This conversation is going nowhere. The point is, closed system
development is still very common because there are still companies and
governments that can not/will not move beyond IE6. This is a fact,
period. Although these organizations will, one day, upgrade, the reality
of it is that pushing HTML5 adoption in this current environment is
still a pipe dream in anything other than a consumer market. And
*applications*, like those we develop day to day, are written more for
internal enterprise and government users more than general consumers
(not always the case, and an assumption on my part based on my
experience). The one advantage we have today over the past is that we
have cross browser libraries like JQueryUI and Ext JS, and technologies
like Flex (in orgs that allow the Flash player, of which their are still
many that do not).

In my last gig, we had a large CMS that served up sites for the
auto-dealer industry. This had two pieces, the CMS (administered by the
dealerships) and the sites themselves. Because dealerships had internal
applications they would not replace, our application (the CMS) had to be
supported in IE6, even though the sites themselves went out to the
general public. If we didn't support IE6 then we wouldn't have those
clients, which would have cost us millions in annual revenue.

Tell me about the markets you serve? And how is that vertical different?

Steve 'Cutter' Blades
Adobe Community Professional
Adobe Certified Expert
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://cutterscrossing.com

Co-Author "Learning Ext JS 3.2" Packt Publishing 2010
https://www.packtpub.com/learning-ext-js-3-2-for-building-dynamic-desktop-style-user-interfaces/book

"The best way to predict the future is to help create it"