Monitoring all aspects of the server environment including the network is
always a good thing.  Elimination single points of failure will help, but that
takes a lot of work and expense.

For monitoring the VPN, there are network monitoring tools. The simplest one
being PING.

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/
Systems Administrator