VPN connections between servers for use in this way I had always found
to be unreliable.
There is nothing you can do to avoid this i'm afraid in this setup. CF
requests will run until they either complete or timeout.
Because a database connection is what is called native code, the
request cannot be killed by CF or even fusionReactor so will usually
just hang indefinitely

However you should be using some form of monitoring to mitigate such
situations, a decent network monitoring tool will be able to monitor
your VPN and restart the service if it goes down.
Take a look at PRTG or Kaseya.
you could also use FusionReactor to monitor CF to detect problems with
DB connections as well.
I would suggest a failover solution for your database server, but that
would presumably be on the other end of a VPN as well, so would suffer
from the same problem.

You could also consider putting mail and Oracle on the same network as
the CF server to avoid this problem altogether.