Tom,

One of the best things to look into is Firebug for FireFox or using Chrome
for debugging, I prefer Firebug.

What you can do is right before the error is place this line of code.

console.log(grid);

What this will do is confirm that the object is indeed the grid object, by
using the console you can see all methods and variables that belong to the
object for further debugging.

In the meantime when I get a chance later, I will look into what your doing
and see if I can see anything that might be causing this.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott