Putting production data source connections on the development server
is a practice you should avoid. I cringe whenever I see developers do
this.

Having the development DSN on the production server is less risky.
Another path would be having the two databases linked at the database
level and use database code to copy objects between servers, possibly
triggered by a command issued by a Web UI. Database security is easier
to control at the database level, and you wouldn't have to expose the
production dsn on the dev Web server.

I can't think of too many examples where you would want to copy
production data to development using a ColdFusion Web GUI. I use
specialized database tools or scripts, with no UI, when transferring
database data between environments. If you really need this ability
through a ColdFusion application, then having a password prompt is a
bit better than using an embedded password.

-Mike Chabot