I have come across some similar code also, moving variables scope into
sessions and back again for no reason.
if the data has no reason to persist past the request then there is no
reason to put it in session scope.
the primary reason for doing it with forms is to persist the form data so
users can come back later and their data is still there, such as when a
form is split across multiple pages..

perhaps you could just ask him why he is doing it.