Hi Robert,

You are caught in a bit of a catch 22 here. If you want to set the secure
attribute on session cookies delivered over SSL, but also have it use the
same cookie values over non-ssl - then that defeats the purpose of adding
the secure attribute. If you want to do that you can't use the secure
attribute on the cookies.

The secure attribute says only send this cookie over SSL, so when you make
a request to a non-ssl url the browser will not send the cookie, this
causes ColdFusion to issue a new session.

The best solution is to run all on SSL as Cameron suggested, here's a good
read on the performance of SSL and TLS:
http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html the main
point being that SSL is not as computationally expensive as you may think.

If that's not going to fly then you need to build something to share data
between the sessions, while making sure that the non-ssl data is not
privileged - it can get complicated to ensure that your not opening
yourself up to security issues over non-ssl.

--
Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products