Whoooo boy. This is definitely entertaining if nothing else. ;)

My email client interpreted this message as HTML. So just to be happy, I'll
be replacing some brackets with their special character equivalent. Just to
make sure you can see it.

So for each email you should have something like (except that you'd have <
instead of &lt; and you'd have > instead of &gt;):
<CFMAIL ...>
         &lt;HTML&gt;
                 &lt;BODY&gt;
                         some html message here
                 &lt;/BODY&gt;
         &lt;/HTML&gt;
</CFMAIL>

Subsequent messages in the same file should look the same. Don't worry that
you have multiple body tags in the file-- ColdFusion server will take all
that out and only the HTML and BODY tags outside CFMAIL will be sent to the
browser.