There's still actually quite a bit of activity around Groovy (2.0 is
imminent with many enhancements), but it is overshadowed by Grails, which
is extremely active. Since the two are tightly linked (you use Groovy to
build Grails apps), looking at *only* Groovy activity may be misleading.
Probably similar to looking at straight Ruby vs. looking at Rails, which is
what virtually everyone who uses Ruby is actually working with.

It could be that I'm extra-happy with Groovy because I've also done a lot
of Java work, so almost everything I'm familiar with still applies, but
it's just a lot easier to work with. The syntax is almost identical where I
want or need it to be, but I can drop a lot of the rigid BS that Java can
force on me. I can paste straight Java code into a Groovy class and it will
compile. Which I assume (so watch out) would be difficult with other JVM
languages that have different syntax. Maybe I'll have to confirm that heh.