> The problem with IP blocking is that 99% of the time the IP is a fake IP,

This is not true. If you receive a message from an IP address, and the
attacker's action relies on a response to that IP address, it will not
be a fake IP address. It may not be the original IP address of the
attacker, but it is definitely the IP address of the host connecting
to you.

> and that means that legitimate IP's are and do get blocked for no good
> reason.

This is true, in the sense that they may well be on the same range.
But blocking individual addresses doesn't scale very well, to be
honest.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.