For cpu intensive tasks like this it would probably be good (if possible)
to off-load the image resizing to non-public facing machines.

I would do something like upload the files to a share and in the background
have non-front end server(s) handle the image processing.

For our internal apps we have 4 CF machines that handle most user related
tasks, then we have an isolated machine/instance that runs some of the more
cpu intensive tasks, so users don't see the adverse effects.

Depending on your volume of images, you might also want to look at other
image processing alternatives that may handle the load better.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer and Architect
Hostmysite.com